Meeting time and location: September 14, 2017, 6:30PM to 8:00PM,DeLaSalle High School
Call to Order — meeting called to order at 6:35 pm by President Grambsch (Attendee Sign-in sheet here)
NIEBNA Administrative Matters
- Financial and Business Matters
- Treasurer Report (Lisa Hondros) — Association is solvent; nothing for Board action or approval since June 2017 meeting.
- Approval of Expense Payments — None
- Other Financial and Business Matters – none
- Other Business
- Approval of Community Participation Program (CPP) plan for 2017 – 2019 time period — Draft Plan should be posted here before the meeting. [Board action: deferred until November meeting]
- Meeting schedule for 2017/2018 – we currently meet on the 2nd Thursday of the month — should we move to a different day formula (2nd Monday has been suggested by a couple of Board Members) [Board action: deferred until November meeting]
- Financial and Business Matters
- Initial findings regarding the draft Natural Resource Management Plan for the north part of Nicollet Island (Alex Roth, FMR Ecologist) — the Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is writing the Plan that will guide habitat restoration efforts in the current natural areas of the Island. The project is funded by a grant from the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) with the support of NIEBNA. Dr. Alex Roth, along with representatives from MWMO, will present and discuss their initial findings and recommendations. As part of the presentation, there will be a Q&A session and an opportunity for comment and feedback. In addition, helpful information about actions residents can take to improve water quality on their own properties will be covered. [Alex Roth, Irene Jones, and others from FMR and the MWMO presented and discussed the initial results of this project (click here to see slides presented) for the information of the Board and NIEBNA generally. The presentation was well received and a lively discussion ensued. While no formal Board action was expected at this meeting, Alex said that there were alternatives (described in the slides) for the restoration of the north tip of the Island and he asked that attendees contact him at FMR (firstname.lastname@example.org) to express any preferences. Alex and the team will be back to a future Board meeting for formal action.]
- Current Traffic Situation in the NIEBNA East Bank (Bill Prince & Alan Krugman, Minneapolis Traffic Department) General discussion regarding traffic issues in the East Bank with special reference to (a) the intersection of University and Central (click here for current University/Central Intersection Plan information) and (b) the current status of the Hennepin First Avenue Transporation Study (click here for Study Final Report issued on May 31, 2016). [Bill and Alan presented and discussed the traffic situation are Central / University and other similar intersections – and another lively discussion ensued (for an informal summary of the discussion, click here). Bill and Alan said that the equipment at the Cen / Univ intersection was 30+ years old and did not reflect current best practices. Further, they said that the intersection would be completely rebuilt in 2018 as part of a long-term joint project with MnDOT to revised all intersection on University and Central Avenues. Bill said that the “quick fix” that could be implemented immediately would be to revised the times of the signals governing left-turns; Bill as for a resolution of support for doing so. [Board Action: Requested resolution passed by unanimous voice vote.] The was some brief discussion regarding the status of the Hennepin First Avenue Transportation Study — a more in-depth discussion will be on a future Board meeting agenda
NIEBNA Projects and Status Reports
- Appointment of Elections Committee — appoint a Committee to organize and 2017 Board Election [Barry Clegg, Board Vice President, applointed]
- Appointment of Member to the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) for the “East of the River Park Master Plan” (Carrie Christiansen, MPRB) — Carrie discussed the the MPRB “East Of the River” planning effort (for more info on the Plan click here) and the appointment of Delegates and Alternates to CAC by MHNA, NIEBNA and the University (for info on duties of CAC members and to apply see this link). [Board action: appointed Ted Tucker (MHNA), Lisa Hondros (NIEBNA) and Luke Nichols (University) to the CAC.]
- NRP Phase 2 housing contract executed — the contract between the City, NIEBNA and the Nonprofit Assistance Fund (a City contractor) been executed under which NIEBNA is lending the Fund $121,619 for 5 years for use by the Fund anywhere in the City; this contract meets the mandated “70% housing rule” for NRP Phase 2. The funds will be returned (with interest) to NIEBNA at the termination of the contract and can thereafter be spent on any valid neighborhood initiative approved by the NIEBNA Board. [Board Action; none]
- NRP Phase 2 Committees (Lisa Hondros) — no report
NIEBNA Committee Reports
- Technology (Michael Guncheon) — No report
- Transportation – No report expected.
- Livability (Barry Clegg) – No report expected.
- Economic Development — No report expected.
Other Business and Announcements — and FYI
- Great River Coalition “Bee Buzz” event on October 3, 2017 — added to Calendar.
- State of Minnesota Film Commission contacted NIEBNA requesting for names of people to conduct tours of the neighborhood to document possible sites in the for movie scenes. Kari Kranz and Michael Guncheon volunteered.
- Eat Northeast Event running during September and October — added to website “What’s Happening” page