Meeting time and location – October 13, 2016, 6:30pm to 8:00pm, DeLaSalle High School (Attendee sign-in sheet here)
- Call to Order — meeting called to order at 6:35pm by President Grambsch.
- NIEBNA Administrative Matters
- Financial and Business Matters
- Treasurer Report — Treasurer Hondros reported that Association is solvent and that there were no financial transactions requiring Board action or confirmation since the prior Board meeting.
- Approval of Expense Payments – None.
- Other Financial and Business Matters- None
- Election of Association Officers (President (Victor Grambsch), Vice-President (Barry Clegg), Treasurer (Lisa Hondros), Secretary (unfilled)) — [Board Resolution: current officers continue in their respective positions — passed by unanimous vote.] The office of Secretary remains unfilled.
- Financial and Business Matters
- Council Member report — Council Member Jacob Frey updated the Board on various topics and the status of projects of interest to the neighborhood.
- Minneapolis Public Works Water Treatment and Distribution Services regarding a small drinking water circulation pumping station on Nicollet Island (presentation document here) — Peter Pfister from the City of Minneapolis presented and discussed the plans to improve the distribution of drinking water on Nicollet island. Among other things thus will require construction of a small building just south of Hennepin Avenue. There was general discussion regarding the details of the building, design and materials, project schedule, cost and other details. The presentation was for the information of the Board; therefore no formal Board action was taken.
- Boom Island – Nicollet Island Bridge Repair Project (Presentation document here, project website here) – Daniel Elias from the MPRB, presented and discussed plans to repair the old railroad bridge between Boom Island and Nicollet Island. Multiple alternatives were presented for deck material and railing design. The Park Board is soliciting public comment as to which of the alternatives should be adopted. Daniel handed out ballots for individuals to express their preferences. [Board Resolution: The Board, by unanimous vote, adopted Decking Option 1 (wood planing similar to the existing) and Railing Option 4 (vertical steel members) as the preferred options.]
- NIEBNA Projects and Status Reports
- Status Report: Appointment of a new Downtown Neighborhoods Alternate Director on Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership (MRP) Board of Directors (Edna Brazitis) — no report or Board action. The MRP Board is considering changing how neighborhood representatives on the MRP Board are appointed. No decision by the MRP Board is expected before December 2016 and action on this matter is deferred until the MRP Board acts.
- Status Report: application for a Stewardship Grant from the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) to fund the cleanup of the Not-A-Lot on Nicollet Island (Lisa Hondros) — application has been approved by the MWMO Board and preparation of the necessary contract is under way. The Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) will the named contractor; NIEBNA supported the application and will participate in the project.
- Police matters update — Board Member Jeffrey Meehan discussed issues regarding Police in the neighborhood, including:
- Summary of results of extra patrols this summer;
- Reintroduction of the East Hennepin Beat squad car;
- Speed & noise monitoring and enforcement by MPD, including the possibilities for installing solar-power speed signs in the neighborhood;
- Jeffrey noted that with the discontinuance by MPD of the dedicated Traffic Enforcement Detail traffic enforcement is now handed as one of the ordinary duties of 2nd Precinct officers, who have many demand on their time. However, Inspector Loining has given assurances traffic enforcement will not be ignored.
- NIEBNA Committee Reports
- Technology (Michael Guncheon) — systems running well, nothing unusual to report.
- Transportation (Dore’ Mead) – No report.
- Livability (Barry Clegg) – No report
- Economic Development (Kevin Upton) – No report.
- Other Business and Announcements
- Nord Haus (nee Superior Plating) final pollution remediation status update (Jeffrey Meehan) — Jeffrey reported that the remediation is now complete; final sign-off by MPCA that all remediation requirements have been met is expected in the near future.
- [On Calendar] Minneapolis-2040 Plan Open Houses (Victor Grambsch) — noted.
- [On Calendar] Eighth Annual Mississippi River Forum on October 13, 2016 (Victor Grambsch) – noted.
- Adjourn — meeting adjourned at 7:45pm
Minutes not final until approved by the Board.